Panchak is an inauspicious yoga or Dosha period, means a group of five, Panchak kaal occurs when Moon is present in last two signs Aquarius and Pisces, in the last five constellations: Dhanista, Shatabhisha, Purva Bhadrapada, Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati. Panchak Dosha remains for almost five days period.
Out of these Dhanishta’s only last two Charana are inauspicious.
There are 27 constellations in 12 signs in the Heaven divided into 12 signs, of 30° each More.
What is Panchak ?
Panchak Yoga is a kind of Dosha(Ashubh Muhurat), inauspicious period for performing some of the auspicious events or ceremonies.
These are like marriage, Mundana, purchasing of property, starting a new venture or institution. Therefore one should avoid this period or Muhurat.
The prohibited activities during Panchak
People should not perform some of the auspicious events during Panchak period. It is believed, that an auspicious work performed during this period will give mostly bad results or there may be obstacles or unnecessary delay in undertakings.
If an inauspicious work is done during the this period, it will be performed again and may be repeated up to five times more than the original one.
According to ancient text the prohibited activities are as follows:
One should avoid purchasing or making a bed or bedding, Griha Pravesh, starting rituals of a marriage, purchasing or wearing new garments, building roof of a house.
Panchak is also inauspicious period for travelling towards south direction, starting to restore the fuel for funeral of a dead body. However, cremation can be done after doing some specific prescribed rituals.
The last five days of the month of Kartika are considered as the Bhishma Panchaka or the Vaka Panchaka.
It is believed that fast(vrat) was observed during the last five days of the Hindu month Kartika by Bhishma Pitamah before ending his life.
Five Kinds of Panchak
According to Vedic The study of the influence of celestial bodies on earth and humans More text, there are five kinds of Panchak, based on Var (days). These are named as: Mrityu (death) Rog (disease) Kingdom (Raj) Agni(fire) and Chor (theft).
1. If it begins on a Saturday, it is known as Mrityu(death). Marriage and starting of all important events should be avoided.
2. If Panchak begins on a Sunday, it is also bad, known as Roga (diseases).This period is not good for health. Person may suffer from some prolonged illness.
3. If it begins on a Monday, it is called inauspicious and known as Rajya (kingdom). All government related matters or change of job are avoided during this period.
4. If Panchak begins on a Tuesday, this inauspicious Panchak is known as Agni (fire). Any kind of construction, shifting to a new house or machinery related work should be avoided.
5. If it begins on a Friday, it is also inauspicious, known as Chor (theft): travelling, all kinds of business or financial activities should be avoided during this period of Panchak.
Note: Revati Nakshatra should be avoided for constructing a roof.
If Panchak is in Uttara Bhadrapada Nakshatra, falls on a Sunday Sarvartha Siddhi Yoga is formed, which is Good for engagement or marriage. Panchak Dosha minimized.
If these last three Panchak Nakshatra: Purva bhadrapada,Uttara bhadrapada and Revati fall on a Sunday, a kind of auspicious Yoga is formed, this period gives success and prosperity to the One who takes birth, this word is used for astrology purpose More.
Remedies for Panchak
According to ancient text one should recite Gayatri Mantra and perform Havan or Homa before purchasing furniture, distribute sweets before starting the construction of roof of a house.
People should recite Hanuman Chalisa and perform Hanuman Puja before starting a journey, if it is necessary to do any of these above works.
Prescribed rituals should be performed before starting a dead body’s funeral, if unavoidable circumstances.