The ritual of placing the Kalash or Ghata (a pot filled with holy water)at a fixed place for Navratri Puja on the first Tithi is called Kalashsthapana or Ghatasthapana.This ritual is performed twice a year at a certain auspicious Muhurat during the month Chaitra Maas and Ashwin Maas.
Priests or Pundits tell about the auspicious time or Shubh Muhurat of Ghatasthapana or Kalashsthapana.
Also read: Chaitra Navratri/Vasant Navratri, Gudi Padwa and Ugadi
Navratri Kalashsthapana or Navratri Ghatasthapana
Muhurat for Ghata Sthapana or Navratri Kalashsthapana For Chaitra Navratri / Vasant Navratri 2021 Ghatasthapana or Kalashasthapana Muhurat is on Tuesday, April 13, 2021, in Meen Lagna (Dvisvabhava Lagna) on Pratipada or Padwa Tithi.
The first day of Chaitra Navratri Puja Muhurat for Kalashsthapasna or Ghatasthapana Muhurta begins after Sunrise, from 06: 03 AM-10: 14 AM. Duration of Muhurata is 4 hours, 16 minutes.
The most preferred Muhurata time for Ghatasthapana: On Tuesday, April 13, the best time for Ghatasthapana is from 06: 03 AM to 07: 16 AM. (IST)
Abhijit Muhurat is from 11: 56 AM to 12: 47 AM on 13th April, 2021.
Method of Kalashsthapana for Navratri
1) Take a small clay shallow pan(pot) or a Kalash with a wide mouth as a base and fill it with soil or mud. Scatter three layers of each of mud and seeds of barley or Sapta Dhanya or Navadhanya (seeds of seven or nine different grains) in the pan. Add some water so that the seeds get enough moisture to germinate.
Draw a Swastika symbol and write ‘Om’ on the wall of the Kalash or pot.
Light a lamp filled with a wick and ghee (Deepak)in front of the lamp. On a ninth day with the end of the Navaratri, shoots grow up to a certain length.
On Navami or last day of Navratri Puja, these shoots ate taken from the pot and given to the people as Prasad of Maa Durga.
Note: In some regions of West India sisters put these shoots on back of both the ears of her brothers, on auspicious Dussehra festival. Brothers give money to the sisters as Dussehra gift.
Kalashsthapana or Ghatasthapana/ Navratri
2)Take another Kalash (preferably of brass)smaller than the size of the mouth of the clay pot, draw a holy Swastika symbol and write ‘Om’ on the pot with Roli.
Fill it with Gangajal or holy water (full). Cover with a lid, Betal-nut(supari), washed Akshat (unbroken raw rice mixed with turmeric powder) and Durva grass is put in the water.
3)Take a silver coin having the picture of Maa Durga and immerse it into the Kalash. Tie the sacred thread (Moli)on the neck of the Kalash.
4)Finally, take an unpeeled coconut, wrap with a red colored cloth and tie sacred thread (Moli)around it, cover the neck by placing it on top of the Kalash with its fiber protruding upward.
5)Place five leaves of washed Ashoka or Mango tree and place on the neck of Kalash around the coconut.
6)Put this Kalash on the clay or mud pan in the center (filled with the mud and Navadhanya grains). Draw a Swastika with red color Roli or Kumkum and water paste on this pot, as well as at the front door of the house. Invoke Lord Ganesha and Maa Durga after Kalashsthapana on Navratri.
Invoke Lord Ganesha and Maa Durga
1. After Kalashsthapana, invoke Lord Ganesha and Maa Durga and pray Goddess to come into the house and reside in the Kalash during the Navaratri days, enchanting Arti.
First light Akhand Jyoti, perform Aarti with Deepak by showing lighted lamp (filled with ghee) Dhup and Agarbatti (incense sticks)to the Kalash and nine forms Maa Durga.
Offer some Roli (red color powder for Tilak), Moli, Vastra, scent, flowers, a garland of flowers, eleven betel leaves, cardamom, cloves, betel nuts (Supari) Akshat (unbroken rice) fruits and sweets (Bhog) and Jal(holy water) to the Kalash, Maa Durga, and the coconut.
Distribute prasad to all the people who are present there.
2. On a ninth day with the end of Navratri, shoots grow up to a certain length. Take the shoots from the soil pot and distribute this with the other items offered for Bhoga during Puja to the persons as Prasad of Maa Durga, present there, after the nine days of Navratri.
Sprinkle the holy water of the Kalash in the whole house and on the members of the house for the blessings of Maa Durga and Lord Ganesha(coconut)
Items for the Ghatasthapana or Kalashsthapana, Navratri Puja
1. Brass pot or pitcher (Kalash).
2. Holy (pure) water or Ganga Jala(Ganges water) for filling into the Kalash and also for offering Jal in a different pot to the Kalash, coconut and Maa Durga.
3. A Silver coin with the picture of sitting Maa Durga.
4. A Wooden Chauki covered with a red color cloth for Kalashsthapana.
5. Idol (Murti) or Photo of Maa Durga.
6. Roli 7. Moli (red colored holy thread) 8. Small clay pot with a wide mouth. 9. Mud or soil. 10. Akshata(unbroken and washed rice).
11. Unpeeled coconut.
12. A piece of red cloth. 13. Scent (Itara.)
14. Seeds of Barley or seven different grains 15. 11 Betel nuts (whole Supari) 16. Fresh Durva grass. 17. Fresh Marigold flowers and garland. 18. Cloves, Cardamom and betel leaves (Pan) and Puja Thal (plate).
19. Agarbatti (incense sticks), Deepak (filled with ghee), Dhup and a matchbox.
20. Chunari or small sari, bangles, and material for make-up.
21. Five leaves of Ashoka or Mango (fresh and washed with clean water).
22. Sandalwood stick or powder for putting on coconut.23. Bell and Shankha.
24. Fresh Fruits and sweets for Prasad. 25. Durga Saptashati (book for Path)
Mantra, Strotam, Beej Mantra from Durga Saptashati
One should recite Kshama Yachana, Argala Strotam and Keelakam from Durga Saptashati.
Recite the following Beej Mantra from Durga Saptashati for 108 times for the blessings from Goddess Durga :
“Om Aim Hreem Kleem Chamundaye Vichche”
ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं चामुण्डायै विच्चे
32 secret Names of Goddess Maa Durga (Dvatrinsh Namavali)
If possible recite following 32 secret Names of Goddess Maa Durga (Dvatrinsh Namavali) daily or during Navratri to become free from fear and remove most of the obstacles:
1. दुर्गा 2. दुर्गार्तिशमनी 3. दुर्गापद्विनिवारिणी 4. दुर्गमच्छेदनी 5. दुर्गसाधिनी 6. दुर्गनाशिनी 7. दुर्गतोद्धारिणी 8. दुर्गनिहन्त्री 9. दुर्गमापहा 10. दुर्गमज्ञानदा 11. दुर्गदैत्यलोकदवानला 12. दुर्गमा 13. दुर्गमालोका 14. दुर्गमात्मस्वरुपिणी 15. दुर्गमार्गप्रदा 16. दुर्गमविद्या 17. दुर्गमाश्रिता 18. दुर्गमज्ञानसंस्थाना 19. दुर्गमध्यानभासिनी 20. दुर्गमोहा 21. दुर्गमगा 22. दुर्गमार्थस्वरुपिणी 23. दुर्गमासुरसंहंत्रि 24. दुर्गमायुधधारिणी 25. दुर्गमांगी 26. दुर्गमता 27. दुर्गम्या 28. दुर्गमेश्वरी 29. दुर्गभीमा 30. दुर्गभाम 31. दुर्गभा 32. दुर्गदारिणी