The ritual of placing the Kalash or Ghata(filled with holy water) at a fixed place for Puja on the first Tithi or the day of Navratri is called Kalashsthapana or Ghatasthapana. This ritual is performed at a certain auspicious Muhurta. Pundits or priests tell about the auspicious Muhurtha of Kalashsthapana. The information of the auspicious moment is also available in different Panchangas of that year.
Best time for Navratri Ghatasthapana Muhurta or Navratri Kalash Sthapana(Sharad Navratri 2017)is as follows:
Ghata Sthapana Muhurat falls in Kanya Lagna(Dvi-svabhava Lagna) on Pratipada Tithi,the first day of Navratri puja muhurat or Kalash Sthapasna starts from 06:12 to 08:09 IST(usually 10 minutes after sunrise of that place) on September 21, 2017 according to Drik Panchanga.
Duration = 1 Hour 56 Minutes
Pratipada Tithi Begins = 10:59 on Wednesday, 20th September 2017
Pratipada Tithi Ends = 10:34 on Thursday, 21th September 2017
Method of Kalashsthapana for Navratri 2017:
1)Take a small clay shallow pan(pot) with wide mouth as a base and fill it with soil or mud.Scatter three layers of each of mud and seeds of barley or Sapta Dhanya or Navadhanya (seeds of seven or nine different grains) in the pan. Add some water so that the seeds get enough moisture to germinate. Draw a Swastika symbol and write ‘Om’ on the wall of the pot.
Light a lamp filled with a wick and ghee (Deepak)in front of the lamp. On the ninth day with the end of the Navaratri, shoots grow up to a certain length.On Navami or last day of Navratri Puja, these shoots ate taken from the pot and given to the people as Prasad of Maa Durga.
In some regions of West India these shoots are put on the brother’s both ears by their sisters on auspicious Dussehra festival.
2)Take a Kalash (preferably of brass)smaller than the size of clay pot’s mouth, draw a holy Swastika symbol and write ‘Om’ on the pot with Roli. Fill it with Gangajal or holy water(full).Cover with a lid,Betal-nut(supari),washed Akshat (unbroken raw rice mixed with turmeric powder) and Durva grass are put in the water.
3)Take a silver coin having picture of Maa Durga and immerse it into the Kalash. Tie the sacred thread (Moli)on the neck of the Kalash.
4)Finally,take an unpeeled coconut, wrap with a red colored cloth and tie sacred thread (Moli)around it,cover the neck by placing it on top of the Kalash with its fibre protruding upward.
5)Place five leaves of washed Ashoka or Mango tree and place on the neck of Kalash around the coconut.
6)Put this Kalash on the clay or mud pan in the center(filled with the mud and Navadhanya grains).Draw a Swastika with red color Roli or Kumkum and water paste on this pot, as well as at the front door of the house.
7)Invoke Maa Durga and pray to come into the house and reside in the Kalash during the Navaratri days, enchanting Arti.
First light Akhand Jyoti,perform Aarti with Deepak by showing lighted lamp (filled with ghee) Dhup and Agarbatti(incense sticks)to the kalash and nine forms Maa Durga. Offer roli,scent,flowers,garland of flowers,eleven betel leaves, cardamom, cloves, betel nuts(Supari) fruits and sweets (Bhog) and Jal(holy water) to the Kalash, Maa Durga and the coconut.
Distribute prasad to all the people who are present there.
8) On the ninth day with the end of Navaratri, shoots grow up to a certain length. Take the shoots from the soil pot and give to the persons as Prasad of Maa Durga, present there, after the nine days of Navratri. Sprinkle the holy water of the Kalash in the whole house and on the members of the house for the blessings of Maa Durga And Lord Ganesha(coconut)
Items to be arranged for the Ghata Sthapana and Puja are as follows:
1) Brass pot or pitcher(Kalash)
2) Holy (pure) water or Ganga jala for filling into the Kalash and for offering Jal in a different pot to the Kalash, coconut and Maa Durga.
3) A Silver coin with the picture of Maa Durga.
5) Moli(red colored holy thread)
6) Small clay pot with wide mouth.
7) Mud or soil.
8) Akshata (unbroken rice)
9) Unpeeled coconut.
10) A piece of red cloth.
12) Seeds of Barley or seven different grains
13) 11 Betel nuts(whole Supari)
14) Fresh Durva grass
15) Fresh Marigold flowers and garland
16) A Wooden Chauki covered with red cloth.
17) Idol(Murti) or Photo of Maa durga.
18) Dhup, Agarbatti(incense sticks),Deepak(filled with ghee)and a matchbox.
19) Cloves,Cardamom and betel leaves(Pan) and Puja Thal (plate).
20) Chunari or small sari, bangles and material for make up
21) Five leaves of Ashoka or Mango(fresh and washed with clean water)
22) Sandalwood stick or powder for putting on coconut.
23) Bell and Shankha.
24) Fresh Fruits and sweets for Prasad.
25) Durga Saptashati (book)
One may recite Kshama Yachana, Argala Strotam and the following Beej Mantra from Durga Saptashati to please Goddess Durga for 108 times:
1) “Om Aim Hreem Kleem Chamundaye Vichche”
ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं चामुण्डायै विच्चे
2) If possible recite following 32 secret Names of Goddess Maa Durga (Dvatrinsh Namavali) daily or during Navratri to become free from fear and remove most of the obstacles:
1) दुर्गा 2) दुर्गार्तिशमनी
3) दुर्गापद्विनिवारिणी 4) दुर्गमच्छेदनी
5) दुर्गसाधिनी 6) दुर्गनाशिनी
7) दुर्गतोद्धारिणी 8) दुर्गनिहन्त्री
9) दुर्गमापहा 10) दुर्गमज्ञानदा
11)दुर्गदैत्यलोकदवानला 12) दुर्गमा
13) दुर्गमालोका 14) दुर्गमात्मस्वरुपिणी
15) दुर्गमार्गप्रदा 16) दुर्गमविद्या
17) दुर्गमाश्रिता 18) दुर्गमज्ञानसंस्थाना
19) दुर्गमध्यानभासिनी 20) दुर्गमोहा
21) दुर्गमगा 22) दुर्गमार्थस्वरुपिणी
23) दुर्गमासुरसंहंत्रि 24) दुर्गमायुधधारिणी
25) दुर्गमांगी 26) दुर्गमता
27) दुर्गम्या 28) दुर्गमेश्वरी
29) दुर्गभीमा 30) दुर्गभामा
31) दुर्गभा 32) दुर्गदारिणी