Panchak is an inauspicious yoga or Dosha period, means a group of five, Panchak kaal occurs when Moon is present in last two signs Aquarius and Pisces, in the last 5 constellations: Dhanista(last two Charanas),Shatabhisha, Purva Bhadrapada,Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati. Panchak Dosha remains for almost five days period.
There are 27 constellations in 12 signs in the Heaven divided into 12 signs, of 30° each.
What is Panchak ?
Panchak Yoga is a kind of Dosha Muhurat, considered inauspicious or Dosha for performing some of the auspicious events or ceremonies like marriage, Mundana, purchasing property, therefore this period or Muhurat should be avoided.
The prohibited activities during Panchak
Performing some of the auspicious events during Panchak period should be avoided, as it is believed, that an auspicious work performed during this period will give bad results and there may be obstacles or delay in undertakings.
If an inauspicious work is done during the Panchak period, it will be performed again and may be repeated up to five times more than the original one.
According to ancient text the prohibited activities are as follows:
Purchasing or making a bed or bedding, Griha Pravesh, starting rituals of a marriage, purchasing or wearing new garments, building roof of a house, travelling towards south direction, starting to restore the fuel for funeral of a dead body. However, cremation can be done after doing some specific prescribed rituals.
The last five days of the month of Kartika are considered as the Bhishma Panchaka or the Vaka Panchaka as fast(vrat) was observed during the last five days of the Hindu month Kartika by Bhishma Pitamah before ending his life.
Five Kinds of Panchak
According to Vedic The study of the influence of celestial bodies on earth and humans text, five kinds of Panchak are formed, based on Var (days). These are named as: Mrityu (death) Rog (disease) Kingdom (Raj) Agni(fire) and Chor (theft).
1. If Panchak begins on a Saturday, it is known as Mrityu(death), marriage and starting of all important events should be avoided.
2. If Panchak begins on a Sunday, it is also bad, known as Roga (diseases) which is not good for health.
3. If Panchak begins on a Monday, it is called inauspicious and known as Rajya (kingdom). All government related matters or change of job during this period should be avoided.
4. If Panchak begins on a Tuesday, this inauspicious Panchak is known as Agni (fire). Any kind of construction, shifting to a new house or machinery related work should be avoided.
5. If Panchak begins on a Friday, it is also inauspicious, known as Chor (theft): travelling, all kinds of business or financial activities should be avoided.
Revati Nakshatra should be avoided for constructing a roof.
If Panchak Nakshatra: Uttarabhadrapada falls on a Sunday Sarvartha Siddhi Yoga is formed, which is Good for engagement or marriage.
If these last three Panchak Nakshatra: Purva bhadrapada,Uttara bhadrapada and Revati fall on a Sunday, a kind of auspicious Yoga is formed, this period gives success and prosperity to the One who takes birth, this word is used for astrology purpose.
Remedies for Panchak:
According to ancient text one should recite Gayatri Mantra and perform Havan or Homa before purchasing furniture, distribute sweets before starting the construction of roof of a house, recite Hanuman Chalisa and perform Hanuman Puja before starting a journey, if it is necessary to do any of these above works.
Prescribed rituals should be performed before starting a dead body’s funeral, if unavoidable circumstances.