What is PANCHAK ?
Panchak is an inauspicious yoga or Dosha period. Panchak means a group of five, Panchak kaal occurs when Moon is present in last two signs Aquarius and Pisces, in the last 5 constellations : Dhanista (last two Charanas), Shatabhisha, Purva Bhadrapada, Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati. Panchak kaal remains for almost five days period.There are 27 constellations in the zodiac.
Panchak Yoga is considered inauspicious for performing some of the auspicious events like marriage and Mundana, so this period should be avoided.
According to ancient text the prohibited activities are: purchasing or making a bed, Griha Pravesh, starting rituals of a marriage, building roof of a house, travelling towards south direction, starting to restore the fuel, funeral of a dead body. However, cremation can be done after doing some specific prescribed rituals.
Performing some of the auspicious events during Panchak period should be avoided, as it is believed, that an auspicious work performed during this period will give bad results and there may be obstacles or delay in undertakings. If an inauspicious work is done during the Panchak period, it will be performed again and may be repeated up to five times more than the original one.
Bhishma Panchaka: The last five days of the month of Kartika are considered as the Bhishma Panchaka or the Vaka Panchaka as fast(vrat) was observed during the last five days of the Hindu month Kartika by Bhishma Pitamah before ending his life.
Kinds of Panchak
According to Vedic astrology text, five kinds of Panchak are formed, based on Var (days). These are named as: Mrityu (death) Rog (disease) Kingdom (Raj) Agni(fire) and Chor (theft).
1. If Panchak begins on a Saturday, it is considered as Mrityu(death) marriage and starting of all important events should be avoided.
2. If Panchak begins on a Sunday,it is considered inauspicious, it is known as Roga (diseases)which is not good for health.
3. If Panchak begins on a Monday,it is considered auspicious and known as Rajya (kingdom). All government related matters or change of job should during this period should be avoided.
4. If Panchak begins on a Tuesday,it is considered inauspicious and known as Agni (fire). Any kind of construction, shifting to a new house or machinery related work should be avoided.
5. If Panchak begins on a Friday,it is considered inauspicious,it is known as Chor (theft): travelling, all kinds of business or financial activities should be avoided.
Revati Nakshatra should be avoided for constructing a roof.
If Panchak Nakshatra: Uttarabhadrapada falls on a Sunday Sarvartha Siddhi Yoga is formed, which is Good for engagement or marriage.
If these last three Panchak Nakshatra: Purva bhadrapada,Uttara bhadrapada and Revati fall on a Sunday, a kind of auspicious Yoga is formed, this period gives success and prosperity to the native.
Remedies: According to ancient text Reciting Gayatri Mantra and performing Havan before purchasing furniture, distributing sweets before starting the construction of roof of a house, Performing Hanuman Puja before starting a journey and performing prescribed rituals before starting a dead body’s funeral.