The ritual of placing the Kalash or Ghata(filled with holy water)at a fixed place for Puja on the first Tithi is called Navratri Kalashasthapana or Ghatasthapana.This ritual is performed twice a year at a certain auspicious Muhurta during the month Chaitra Maas (March or April) and Ashwin Maas (September and October).
Pundits or priests tell about the auspicious Muhurtha of Kalashsthapana. The information of the auspicious moment is also available in Monthly Panchanga.
Best time for Navratri Ghatasthapana Muhurta or Navratri Kalashasthapana(Chaitra Navratri or Vasant Navratri 2018)is as follows:
Ghatasthapana or Kalashasthapana Muhurat falls in Meen Lagna(Dvi-svabhava Lagna) on Pratipada Tithi, the first day of Navratri puja muhurat or Kalashasthapasna starts from 06:31 AM to 07:46 AM (I S T) (usually after sunrise) on Sunday morning, March 18, 2018, according to Drik Panchanga.
Duration = 1 hour, 15 minutes
Pratipada Tithi begins = 06:41 PM on Saturday evening, 17th March 2018
Pratipada Tithi ends = 06:31 PM on Sunday evening, 18th March 2018
Method of Kalashasthapana for Navratri
1)Take a small clay shallow pan(pot) with wide mouth as a base and fill it with soil or mud. Scatter three layers of each of mud and seeds of barley or Sapta Dhanya or Navadhanya (seeds of seven or nine different grains) in the pan. Add some water so that the seeds get enough moisture to germinate. Draw a Swastika symbol and write ‘Om’ on the wall of the pot.
Light a lamp filled with a wick and ghee (Deepak)in front of the lamp. On the ninth day with the end of the Navaratri, shoots grow up to a certain length.On Navami or last day of Navratri Puja, these shoots ate taken from the pot and given to the people as Prasad of Maa Durga.
Note: In some regions of West India sisters put these shoots on back of both the ears of her brothers, on auspicious Dussehra festival. Brothers give money to the sisters as Dussehra gift.
2)Take another Kalash (preferably of brass)smaller than the size of the mouth of clay pot, draw a holy Swastika symbol and write ‘Om’ on the pot with Roli.
Fill it with Gangajal or holy water(full).Cover with a lid, Betal-nut(supari),washed Akshat (unbroken raw rice mixed with turmeric powder) and Durva grass are put in the water.
3)Take a silver coin having picture of Maa Durga and immerse it into the Kalash. Tie the sacred thread (Moli)on the neck of the Kalash.
4)Finally,take an unpeeled coconut, wrap with a red colored cloth and tie sacred thread (Moli)around it,cover the neck by placing it on top of the Kalash with its fibre protruding upward.
5)Place five leaves of washed Ashoka or Mango tree and place on the neck of Kalash around the coconut.
6)Put this Kalash on the clay or mud pan in the center(filled with the mud and Navadhanya grains).Draw a Swastika with red color Roli or Kumkum and water paste on this pot, as well as at the front door of the house.
Invoke Lord Ganesha and Maa Durga after Kalashasthapana on the first day of Navratri
7)Invoke Lord Ganesha and Maa Durga and pray Goddess to come into the house and reside in the Kalasha during the Navaratri days, enchanting Arti.
First light Akhand Jyoti, perform Aarti with Deepak by showing lighted lamp (filled with ghee) Dhup and Agarbatti (incense sticks)to the kalash and nine forms Maa Durga.
Offer roli, Moli, Vastra, scent,flowers,garland of flowers,eleven betel leaves, cardamom, cloves, betel nuts (Supari) Akshat(unbroken rice) fruits and sweets (Bhog) and Jal(holy water) to the Kalash, Maa Durga and the coconut.
Distribute prasad to all the people who are present there.
8) On the ninth day with the end of Navratri, shoots grow up to a certain length. Take the shoots from the soil pot and distribute this with the other items offered for Bhoga during Puja to the persons as Prasad of Maa Durga, present there, after the nine days of Navratri.
Sprinkle the holy water of the Kalash in the whole house and on the members of the house for the blessings of Maa Durga and Lord Ganesha(coconut)
Items to be arranged for the Ghata Sthapana or Kalashasthapana and Puja are as follows:
1) Brass pot or pitcher(Kalash)
2) Holy (pure) water or Ganga jala for filling into the Kalash and for offering Jal in a different pot to the Kalash, coconut and Maa Durga.
3) A Silver coin with the picture of Maa Durga.
5) Moli(red colored holy thread)
6) Small clay pot with wide mouth.
7) Mud or soil.
8) Akshata (unbroken and washed rice)
9) Unpeeled coconut.
10) A piece of red cloth.
12) Seeds of Barley or seven different grains
13) 11 Betel nuts(whole Supari)
14) Fresh Durva grass
15) Fresh Marigold flowers and garland
16) A Wooden Chauki covered with red cloth for Kalashasthapana.
17) Idol(Murti) or Photo of Maa durga.
18) Dhup, Agarbatti(incense sticks),Deepak(filled with ghee)and a matchbox.
19) Cloves,Cardamom and betel leaves(Pan) and Puja Thal (plate).
20) Chunari or small sari, bangles and material for make up
21) Five leaves of Ashoka or Mango(fresh and washed with clean water)
22) Sandalwood stick or powder for putting on coconut.
23) Bell and Shankha.
24) Fresh Fruits and sweets for Prasad.
25) Durga Saptashati (book for Path)
Recite Mantra, Strotam and Beej Mantra from Durga Saptashati
One should recite Kshama Yachana, Argala Strotam and Keelakam.
Recite the following Beej Mantra from Durga Saptashati for 108 times for the blessings from Goddess Durga :
1) “Om Aim Hreem Kleem Chamundaye Vichche”
ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं चामुण्डायै विच्चे
32 secret Names of Goddess Maa Durga (Dvatrinsh Namavali)
2) If possible recite following 32 secret Names of Goddess Maa Durga (Dvatrinsh Namavali) daily or during Navratri to become free from fear and remove most of the obstacles:
1) दुर्गा 2) दुर्गार्तिशमनी
3) दुर्गापद्विनिवारिणी 4) दुर्गमच्छेदनी
5) दुर्गसाधिनी 6) दुर्गनाशिनी
7) दुर्गतोद्धारिणी 8) दुर्गनिहन्त्री
9) दुर्गमापहा 10) दुर्गमज्ञानदा
11)दुर्गदैत्यलोकदवानला 12) दुर्गमा
13) दुर्गमालोका 14) दुर्गमात्मस्वरुपिणी
15) दुर्गमार्गप्रदा 16) दुर्गमविद्या
17) दुर्गमाश्रिता 18) दुर्गमज्ञानसंस्थाना
19) दुर्गमध्यानभासिनी 20) दुर्गमोहा
21) दुर्गमगा 22) दुर्गमार्थस्वरुपिणी
23) दुर्गमासुरसंहंत्रि 24) दुर्गमायुधधारिणी
25) दुर्गमांगी 26) दुर्गमता
27) दुर्गम्या 28) दुर्गमेश्वरी
29) दुर्गभीमा 30) दुर्गभामा
31) दुर्गभा 32) दुर्गदारिणी