The ritual of placing the Kalash or Ghata(filled with holy water) at a fixed place for Puja on the first Tithi or the day of Navratri is called Kalashsthapana or Ghatasthapana. This ritual is performed at a certain auspicious Muhurta. Pundits or priests tell about the auspicious Muhurtha of Kalashsthapana. The information of the auspicious moment is also available in different Panchangas of that year.
Method of Kalashsthapana
The steps for Ghatasthapana or Kalasha Sthapana are as follows:
1) Take a small clay pot with wide mouth and fill it with soil or mud. Sow the barley or grain seeds. Add some more soil and moist it with water. Put a betel nut and a silver coin in the clay pot.Draw a Swastika symbol and write Om on the wall of the pot. Light a lamp filled with a wick and ghee (Deepak) in front of the lamp. On the ninth day with the end of the Navaratri, shoots grow up to a certain length. Take these shoots from the pot and give to the devotees as Prasad of Maa Durga.
2) Take a Kalash (preferably of brass) draw a holy Swastika symbol and write Om on the pot with Roli . Fill it with holy water(full).Cover with a lid, fill it with washed Akshata (Unbroken rice)
3) Take a silver coin having picture of Maa Durga and immerse it into the Kalash. Tie the sacred thread (Moli)on the neck of the Kalash.
4) Take an unpeeled coconut, wrap with a red colored cloth and the tie sacred thread (Moli) place it on top of the Kalash.
5) Place five leaves of washed Ashoka or Mango tree on the neck of Kalash around the coconut.
6) Put this Kalash on the clay or mud pot in the center. Draw a Swastika on this pot as well as at the front door of house with red color Roli and water paste.
7) Invoke Maa Durga and pray to come into the house and reside in the Kalash during the Navaratri days. First light Akhand Jyoti, perform Aarti with Deepak by showing lamp (filled with ghee) Dhup and Agarbatti(incense sticks)to the kalash and nine forms Maa Durga, offer roli, scent, flowers, garland of flowers. offer betel leaves, cardamom, cloves, betel nuts(Supari) fruits and sweets (Bhog) and holy water to the Kalash, Maa Durga and Durva grass to the coconut. Distribute prasad to all the people who are present there.
8) On the ninth day with the end of Navaratri, shoots grow up to a certain length. Take the shoots from the soil pot and give to the persons as Prasad of Maa Durga, present there, after the nine days of Navratri. Sprinkle the holy water of the Kalash in the whole house and on the members of the house for the blessings of Maa Durga And Lord Ganesha(coconut)
Items to be arranged for the Ghata Sthapana and Puja are as follows:
1) Brass pot or pitcher(Kalash)
2) Holy (pure) water or Ganga jala for filling into the Kalash and for offering Jal in a different pot to the Kalash, coconut and Maa Durga.
3) A Silver coin with the picture of Maa Durga.
5) Moli(red colored holy thread)
6) Small clay pot with wide mouth.
7) Mud or soil.
8) Akshata (unbroken rice)
9) Unpeeled coconut.
10) A piece of red cloth.
12) Seeds of Barley or seven different grains
13) 11 Betel nuts(whole Supari)
14) Fresh Durva grass
15) Fresh Marigold flowers and garland
16) A Wooden Chauki covered with red cloth.
17) Idol(Murti) or Photo of Maa durga.
18) Dhup, Agarbatti(incense sticks),Deepak(filled with ghee)and a matchbox.
19) Cloves,Cardamom and betel leaves(Pan) and Puja Thal (plate).
20) Chunari or small sari, bangles and material for make up
21) Five leaves of Ashoka or Mango(fresh and washed with clean water)
22) Sandalwood stick or powder for putting on coconut.
23) Bell and Shankha.
24) Fresh Fruits and sweets for Prasad.
25) Durga Saptashati (book)
One may recite Kshama Yachana, Argala Strotam and the following Beej Mantra from Durga Saptashati to please Goddess Durga for 108 times:
1) “Om Aim Hreem Kleem Chamundaye Vichche”
ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं चामुण्डायै विच्चे
2) If possible recite following 32 secret Names of Goddess Maa Durga (Dvatrinsh Namavali) daily or during Navratri to become free from fear and remove most of the obstacles:
1) दुर्गा 2) दुर्गार्तिशमनी
3) दुर्गापद्विनिवारिणी 4) दुर्गमच्छेदनी
5) दुर्गसाधिनी 6) दुर्गनाशिनी
7) दुर्गतोद्धारिणी 8) दुर्गनिहन्त्री
9) दुर्गमापहा 10) दुर्गमज्ञानदा
11)दुर्गदैत्यलोकदवानला 12) दुर्गमा
13) दुर्गमालोका 14) दुर्गमात्मस्वरुपिणी
15) दुर्गमार्गप्रदा 16) दुर्गमविद्या
17) दुर्गमाश्रिता 18) दुर्गमज्ञानसंस्थाना
19) दुर्गमध्यानभासिनी 20) दुर्गमोहा
21) दुर्गमगा 22) दुर्गमार्थस्वरुपिणी
23) दुर्गमासुरसंहंत्रि 24) दुर्गमायुधधारिणी
25) दुर्गमांगी 26) दुर्गमता
27) दुर्गम्या 28) दुर्गमेश्वरी
29) दुर्गभीमा 30) दुर्गभामा
31) दुर्गभा 32) दुर्गदारिणी